Trinity has made a commitment to support the children in our church neighborhood, specifically those at Lincoln Elementary and Discovery Middle School.
Working with the Family Community Resource Coordinators and faculty at these schools, Trinity members provide basic material needs as well as mentoring/relational needs. Trinity holds an annual Neighborhood Block Party to provide backpacks, school supplies, dinner, and entertainment for neighborhood children and their families.
Since it’s beginning in 1999, the Partnership has operated under the mission statement…
to increase interactions between Lincoln students, families and staff and Trinity members so as to enhance the greater Lincoln community.
Representatives of the school and Trinity meet on the second Tuesday afternoon of each month (September through April) to plan and implement a busy and varied schedule of activities:
- Art work by the students regularly is placed on display in Trinity’s narthex.
- Several times each year, Trinity’s Happy Lunch Bunch hosts one of the school’s classes whose children entertain, display their skills or interact in some way with the adults.
- A pre-Thanksgiving food drive at the school provides the basis for holiday baskets to needy families of Lincoln students, to which Trinity adds necessary items including perishables and delivers the baskets to the families.
- The school collects mittens, gloves, caps and hats which are then taken to Trinity to join the Christmas Giving Tree gifts which are picked up by Trinity members and taken to the Salvation Army for distribution.
- A special event usually is held in February (a craft night or an Enrichment Fair) with Trinity’s assistance.
- Trinity’s members participate in a read-a-thon each Spring at the school; and some members serve as reading tutors during the year.
- Trinity provides flowers for the Fifth Grade Farewell at year’s end.
Trinity supports the Discovery Middle School by providing clothing to the Family Resource Center at Discovery and providing food assistance and cooking classes.